New users: Get Time Capsule... Totally worth it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Blue Hardshell Case
Hey all you new users,

I just wanted to tell you all that it is a GREAT idea to buy Apple's Time Capsule and use it with Time Machine. I am not advertising for Apple when I say this. It backs up every hour until the disk is full and then starts deleting the oldest backups. Usually I use it to restore small errors, such as accidentally deleting a file. However, recently, my hard drive on my MacBook Pro died (which is rare on a Mac) and I would have lost all my data. I have AppleCare (also recommended) and they repaired the HD in a day, and I was able to get EVERYTHING back. It would have been devastating to lose all that. If you need a reason to use Time Machine or buy Time Capsule, think about this, and if it happened to you. How much would you lose? Backing up isn't a hassle, either. There's just too much to lose. By the way, to show I'm not just advertising Apple, you can buy any external HD and use it with Time Machine the same way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" alluminum MacBook Pro 2.53
I love my time capsule. I use it as a Media server too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
I know what you mean. I have had a hard drive or two fail on me over the years, so I know what it's like to lose all your data. Having the Time Capsule has put my mind at ease.

I'd like to add one more benefit to owning a Time Capsule (or even just using a backup drive through Time Machine). Last summer I upgraded the hard drive in my MacBook from the stock 120GB model to a 320GB one. After installing the drive and putting Leopard on it, I told the Mac that I wanted to restore my files from a backup drive. No problem. A couple hours later, all of my files had been loaded onto the new drive. It was as if nothing on my computer had changed, aside from the fact that I had a lot more hard drive space of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I think the Airport Extreme Base Station with external HD is a better idea than Time Capsule.

a) You can't take your backup drive off-site without also removing your router with Time Capsule
b) USB Drive can be moved, or upgraded at any time
c) USB Drive can be replaced in the event of failure and no warranties will be void

Price wise, buying the AEBS and an external drive is comparable to the cost of Time Capsue, however the benefits far outweigh it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.