Remove Custom Places from Sidebar

LTP

Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm using 10.5.4, and would still consider myself a bit of a new Mac user. I've been dragging any folders I want to shortcut into the sidebar. Problem is, I dragged a couple of folders there months ago, and now those folders don't exist anymore. This is my work computer, and these folders contained things I needed off the server, so I would normally have to enter a password to be able to access them. Any other folder, I can right click and chose "Remove from Sidebar", but these folders say that the volumne has failed to mount and that it cannot be found, and as a result I can't remove them from the sidebar.
I have looked through all the preferences but no where can I see an option to delete custom sidebar places.

Appreciate any help you can give!

Thanks!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This may sound like a stupid question but have you tried just dragging it off of the sidebar?

OP
L

LTP

Reaction score
*Hangs head in shame*. Said I was a bit of a new Mac user :D
I have no idea why I didn't think of that! Thank you, and for not making fun of me :D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
We've all been there...

Reaction score
Still not working

OK, that may work normally, but I had a shortcut to a network resource that no longer exists. So when I click on the shortcut, it gives me an error message saying the folder can't be found...Clicking on it again, of course, brings up the same error message. Ad nauseum. Is there a file where these shortcuts are listed that I could go in and manually purge the bad folders?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
danco:
What?
Where? In the sidebar of your Finder windows? (same as original post)
What OS? 10.5? (same as original post)

Reaction score
Sidebar problem

I have jpg image file on my sidebar and I wan't it deleted but it wont. I drag it outside nothing happens and I can't even right click it to see the preferences. Im Using Macbook pro OS X 10.6.8

I figured it out.. thanks hold command and drag the item outside the sidebar then you will see the cloud icon then release

Reaction score
I created an account here just to say thanks for the tip about using cmd+drag to remove the obsolete file. Will stick around.

Reaction score
Thank you:::

I'm a little OCD about things so this was really irritating me after upgrading to Lion.

I'm happy to say that the cmnd+drag works wonderfully in Lion as well.

Thank you!!;)

Reaction score
Command drag

thanks for that tip! I had about 6 folders that I could not do anything with. That worked!

Reaction score
I too created an account based on the help I found here. I was scratching my head trying to remove network folders from my places that have become obsolete.

Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Alright, that cmnd+drag thing saved some of us. I also registered only to say "thank you" and "I love you". And I mean it. Thanks!

Reaction score
Another thanks

I also registered to say thanks for the Cmd-drag trick. That has been bugging me for like a year since I replaced an old router.

Reaction score
Thanks

Wanted to say thanks for this solution. So why does this happen in the first place, I wonder? Just curious... anybody know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@brettbarbaro: What does "this" mean in your question? If you're referring to something above, you'll have to identify it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@toMACsh I mean, why do some things seem to get stuck in the sidebar and others not?

Well in the case of Post #1 above, items that were in the Sidebar were deleted, thus those icons were "stuck" there. I don't know (for sure) of other reasons this could happen. I'd hazard a guess at some sort of corruption, but, who knows?

Reaction score
more thanks...

...yet another thank you for the cmd-drag advice. I have had an unburnt cd icon in my sidebar for months that has been bugging me! I have also registered to say thanks.

Reaction score
Cmd+drag = Thanks

@ralf3788: Also registered just to say thanks. That problem was annoying me for ages.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.