Flash Player

Reaction score
My friend has iMac running OSX 10.2.8. Whilst he mainly uses Safari he has IE fior Mac installed. When usimg this, some web sites require flash player to be installed (v10) but when installing he gets the message that the "platform is not supported". He's reverted back to Safari but would like to know if others have received this message and/or resolved problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
IE for Mac hasn't been updated in many years. He should stick to Safari or try a different browser.

Reaction score
I think Flash Player 10 requires Mac OS X v10.4 "Tiger" or higher. Methinks it may be time for an upgrade!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I think Flash Player 10 requires Mac OS X v10.4 "Tiger" or higher. Methinks it may be time for an upgrade!
Absolutely on both counts.

See here - min version of OS X is 10.4.

Any reason he hasn't upgraded?

Reaction score
What are the specs on the machine? I think your friend should at the very least run Mac OS X v10.3.9 "Panther", since there is almost no good software available for Jaguar (v10.2).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Yeah, Jaguar is very old and there is very little software for it anymore. IE for Mac is ancient and obsolete. Even Safari for Jaguar is very very old and the OS won't support newer versions. I wouldn't even recommend Panther anymore since there is a decreasing number of applications which work with it. At least have him upgrade to Tiger if possible, since it is likely to be supported for some time still.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies. Currently on the phone to my friend reading him your replies.

His only explanation as to why he hasn't updated is that he hasn't had any update notification for some time (at least 1-2 years)!!! Apparrantly he used to get them and he'd always install. He doesn't know how to download/install otherwise and I have no knowledge on Mac's to help

His machine is around 5 years old (800Mhz iMac) so I wonder if machine capable of OSX upgrade. As I understand it 10.2 is Jaguar (current install), 10.3 is Panther, 10.4 is Tiger and 10.5 is Leopard. Is his machine capable of upgrading to one or more of these operating systems? or should he consider upgrading to newer machine?. Note: he is not a heavy PC/internet user and machine does everything he wants it too except (as he has just told me on phone) it crashes when he accesses. UK's number one property website for properties for sale and to rent. Appreciate all you feedback

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Point upgrades such as 10.x are not free updates. They are completely new versions of the OS, like upgrading from Windows XP to Vista. For example, 10.2.x would be a free update, similar to a service pack in Windows. 10.3, 10.4, etc are all new OS versions. Leopard won't run on his 800 MHz iMac, since it requires at least an 867 MHz G4 processor. The highest OS he can upgrade to is Tiger, which is no longer for sale through Apple. He will need to find a copy from a third party and purchase it.

Before doing so he should make sure he has a DVD drive, and that the disks he is looking at are the BLACK retail version and NOT the gray system specific disks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.