Can't automatically open downloaded files using Safari

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 180GB HD
I'm very aware of the "Open Safe Files after downloading" option, however this is checked and whenever I download .doc files, either from an attachment off of a web based email account, or even directly off of a link from the web, it just goes directly to a download folder and doesn't open up. Is there a way to edit this database in safari or to at least have it automatically open up a word doc?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Microsoft Word *.DOC files are not executable. You must click on the file in order for Word (if installed) to open them. They can also be opened by other applications if Word is not installed. (Open Office, NeoOffice)

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 180GB HD
Response

Microsoft Word *.DOC files are not executable. You must click on the file in order for Word (if installed) to open them. They can also be opened by other applications if Word is not installed. (Open Office, NeoOffice)

Regards.

thanks for your response. Question: in the settings for Safari, it does list that the "open "safe" files after downloading" include text documents. This is checked but word docs still download but don't open. I have ms word installed so it should open with word, however it doesn't. i know this did work previously. Any advice?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It does say that, and I can download pdf's, .txt and even .rtf files and they'll open. I've never had Word, Excel or Open Office documents open automatically after download on my system. Not saying it can't be done, I don't know, but they've never done it on mine. Have not tried iWork documents.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.