iBook spacebar unresponsive

S

sebeck

I have a 12" 1.2 that I bought in December and the spacebar is so annoying. Whenever i'm typing i have to exaggerate the use of the spacebar in order to make it work. It seems very unresponsive. It didn't do it while i typed this thread but thats probably because i'm concentrating on using it instead of just freely typing away. Is anyone elses spacebar like this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
mine does that sometimes. i don't really have to pound on it, but i do have to make a concentrated effort to make it work.

OP
T

tariq

send it in for repairs. i had similar problems with my F11, F12 and Eject buttons on my PowerBook and they either re-seated or replaced the keyboard.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Do you mean, for example, you type the word "Apple" and nothing happens, then the computer waits like 4 seconds and types the word "Apple". On my iBook, it is sometimes slow responding to my key strokes, but no space bar issues that I have noticed.

OP
T

tariq

I think they were referring to mechanical issues rather than a non-responsive system.

ie. they would want to type "The Cat and the Fox", but with their bad spacebar it'd come out like "TheCat andthe Fox" if they typed fast and did not make a conscious effort to press the spacebar hard enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Have you tried making sure no crumbs are under the keys?

I'd release the keyboard (Twist the screw next to the Num. key and pull down the 2 latches next to the F12 and esc keys) and try carefully blowing any dust or dirt out...

Reaction score
My iBook has been doing htis straight out of the box...I only got it yesterday.

Frommy experiencewith PC's,as far as I can see....I think its just the way it is.

Its not totally unresponsive... only sometimes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.