Creating loops in GarageBand

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Okay...first off, having finally had a really, really good chance to futz around with GarageBand...I'm really, really wondering why people wouldn't recommend this for professional recording. It's a digital multitrack recorder that supports MIDI, AU plugins, "real" instruments, loops, etc., and has an equalizer and an effects processor. Just for comparison, this is a LOT more than the Beatles ever had at their disposal...

But that's not the reason for my post, I just wanted to vent in that one paragraph.

Here's the real reason: I was doing some recording last night and rather than have to keep playing a riff on my bass for five minutes, I just wanted to loop it. So I followed the instructions to turn your own recording into a loop, but...the resulting loop sounded absolutely horrible -- it sounded very hissy, very distorted, and about 200 generations removed. Why is that?? Is there a secret step that all the how-to guides don't tell you about??

Anyway, it turned out I didn't need to turn it into an Apple Loop anyway; I just did the drag-and-drop to loop it and it was absolutely fine...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.