PC convert advice on Powerbooks

Reaction score
Ok, after years of using a PC for graphics stuff (and still am at work) I’d like to pick your brains as regards a 17” Powerbook, as it’s realistically my only way of getting into the Mac game at the moment.

I’ve got my eye on one, a G4 1.67ghz processor with 1GB of RAM, 160GB hard drive, has a Dual Layer DVD Burner, 128mb of VRAM, running Leopard, for approx £400 ($570) – I’m guessing final auction price.
As you guessed I’m over the pond in the UK.
It includes CS software, and yes I’m fully aware of using non legit apps, so that isn’t really an issue, as it’s more the machine I’m interested in.

I guess I’m trying to get an idea of how this machine would compare with the PC I use at work, as this is the only benchmark I have to gauge if the speed of the Powerbook would be prohibitive.
My PC is an Asus, Pentium R Dual CPU, 1.80Ghz, 2 GB RAM.

I run Creative Suite 2.3 at work, and would like to run the same on the Powerbook, using Indesign, P/Shop/Illustrator & Acrobat mostly. I envisage getting into some Dreamweaver work, along with some video editing at a later stage, but obviously this is as my skills develop – yeah, another 10 years ;D

I’m sure I’ll also dabble with all the lovely apps that Leopard holds, but hey, that’ s one of the reasons for converting to MAC eh?

I realise that an intel iMac would be a better bet, but for domestic reasons we have a PC and can’t set up 2 terminals, so it has to be a laptop for now. Also, as I use a 22” screen at work I can’t see it being workable using a 15” macbook – besides, I’d still be looking at near double the price of this Powerbook, even though it’d be faster/more future proof as it were.

So, apologies for the waffle – do you reckon I’d be limited with this Powerbook?

Also, although the machine is clearly in good nick the owner says there are a couple of light screen patches, (approx a dime size) which are only noticeable on start up, against a single colour screen, and he reckons Apple were aware of this problem with the 17” screens but didn’t recall them as they aren’t a problem in use. Any light you could shed on this issue would be welcome too.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.