Very Grainy Display

Reaction score
My old iMac running OSX 10.4.1 has suddenly decided to make the display very "grainy" and I am wondering if this is a problem with the OS or the hardware.

I tried altering the brightness and contrast but no good.

When I boot up the pc it looks fine until the wallpaper appears when it is ok for a second or two and then jumps to the grainy display.

Anyone any ideas.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Update your OS to a later version as the early ones were suspect. Get the latest Combo updater and try that first.

Sounds like a bad driver as a first guess. What kind of plug is the monitor using - DVI or other? Maybe the video card is going away (overheating?) and defaulting to a lower res. Also go into the Preferences>Displays and make sure what you have for a monitor is correctly identified by the system and it should allow a choice of resolutions in the pull down.

Reaction score
Check out your display preferences - make sure it's set to millions of colors instead of thousands, as this will make the picture appear "grainy"

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Check out your display preferences - make sure it's set to millions of colors instead of thousands, as this will make the picture appear "grainy"

Excellent suggestion! I bet this is the problem. The OP's computer is probably set on 256 colors...instead of thousands or millions.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.