Microphone Troubles - Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
My girlfriend is in Norway for the semester, and to save on longdistance, we're going to try to use Skype. I have a headset (i.e. headphones+microphone) that I'm trying to use, but for some reason my PowerBook doesn't want to pick up any volume from my microphone! I know the mic works, because I just tried it on my roommate's PC laptop. I tried to go into the Sound section of the system preferences, but when I change it to line-in, it doesn't register any sound. The internal mic works fine, but it's annoying having it pick up all the background noise.
Any help is much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
A PC soundcard has a microphone port that is different than line in. signal levels are different, plus a microphone port delivers power to the microphone, which it needs to work.
On recent Apples, there's no such port.
You have two choices:
- Buy an USB headset
- Buy the Griffin iMic. It gives you just the ports you need to connect your headset, and isn't too expensive either...

OP
X
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
hmm... that's slightly annoying.
Well, now I know. Thank you again, Avalon... this is like the 8th time you've come to my rescue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
You're welcome... :cool:

K

kabwon

ehm, shouldnt the powerbook have a built in mic? i dont know , seeing as i dont own one, im have an imac g5 and it comes with a mic. but ye, get the USB headset if all else fails.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I use my iBook's internal mike and regular headphones with skype - works like a treat.

You could also get a powered microphone that has a battery to provide a higher line-out signal that the powerbook can 'hear'.

But I'd seriously just plug in the headphone part of the headset and use the built-in mic...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.