DHCP and PPPOE simultaneously - how?

Reaction score
I require a local address (via DHCP, in order to access the local network; games, files, etc) as well as a PPPOE connection (for internet). I have Tiger 10.4 and connect via the airport. However, it seems like a PPPOE connection and a DHCP lease are mutually exclusive; when PPPOE is enabled, the DHCP option disappears.

I've already done some searching, but the only thing I've found is this from the apple support site, which doesn't work:
Mac OS X 10.4: How to use a PPPoE connection while maintaining Bonjour for local network devices
It requests that you make a copy of the PPPOE connection and then enable DHCP. I don't see how that's meant to help though; one option is still mutually exclusive of the other.

Help appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Can you give us a bit more detail about your hardware setup. On the face of it I'd say just get a cheap router and let that handle DHCP. But could do with more info.

OP
S
Reaction score
The airport connects to a wireless AP, which is connected by cable to my college's server, which runs DHCP for internal connections and also facilitates PPPOE (an individual connection for each room) for external connections. I really don't know much else than that.

On both windows and linux I am able to set DHCP and PPPOE up as separate connections/interfaces even though they are accessed through the same physical nic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.