Macbook Pro to Samsung LCD audio question.

Reaction score
I recently purchased the 32" Samsung LN32A330 LCD HDTV, and I hooked up my macbook pro to it using the dvi to hdmi cable, and I am running the audio through a stereo to rca cable. I am having problems w/ the audio however. I plugged in the stereo side of the cable into the headphone spot on the macbook pro, and the red and white side w/ the corresponding colors on the back of the tv. BUT the red side is not working for some reason. If i plug the white into the white, one speaker will work, and if i plug the white into the red, then the other speaker will work, but sound is never produced when both are plugged into their corresponding colors. The red does not seem to work at all, and the white works regardless of which color (white or red) it is plugged into. I know the cable is not faulty, it is brand new and I am having the same problem when I use another cable also. Any questions please ask.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The first thing you need to determine is if your MBP is sending out a stereo signal from its headphone jack. Plug a set of stereo headphones in and listen to a music CD played by your MBP. Are you receiving the proper R and L signals?

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
The first thing you need to determine is if your MBP is sending out a stereo signal from its headphone jack. Plug a set of stereo headphones in and listen to a music CD played by your MBP. Are you receiving the proper R and L signals?

Regards.

yeah when i plug in headphones, you can hear out of both the left and right.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sure seems like you might be using the wrong type of cable. If your headphones are working OK to hear stereo, then we can ascertain that your MBP sound output is working normally. That leaves the cable. Make sure the cable tip that gets plugged into the MBP is the correct size and that it is in fact designed for stereo. A stereo plug has three sections: R + L + ground. Compare it with your headphone plug.

You might also go through your menu setup for audio for the Samsung. Make sure the inputs are setup for stereo.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Sure seems like you might be using the wrong type of cable. If your headphones are working OK to hear stereo, then we can ascertain that your MBP sound output is working normally. That leaves the cable. Make sure the cable tip that gets plugged into the MBP is the correct size and that it is in fact designed for stereo. A stereo plug has three sections: R + L + ground. Compare it with your headphone plug.

You might also go through your menu setup for audio for the Samsung. Make sure the inputs are setup for stereo.

Regards.

the type of cable i am using has three separate cords, left & right audio (red & white) and video (yellow) its like a standard camcorder cable. i have been told that a 'Toslink optical audio cable' might work as well. Do you think that is what i should get?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The cable you're currently using is the same type designed for video recorders and as you say, camcorders. That cable is not going to work properly. Use a standard audio cable with a single male plug (same kind that your headphone uses) that terminates in separate Left and Right audio plugs. (RCA type)

Take a look at this cable: Link

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
The cable you're currently using is the same type designed for video recorders and as you say, camcorders. That cable is not going to work properly. Use a standard audio cable with a single male plug (same kind that your headphone uses) that terminates in separate Left and Right audio plugs. (RCA type)

Take a look at this cable: Link

Regards.

thanks! i bought a monster cable with just the 2 audio outs, and it worked!! thanks so much!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great! Thanks for posting back. Enjoy your new TV\monitor. :)

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.