Disk Drive Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
So I'm posting this for my dad who is having a ton of trouble with his 6 month old iMac. He loves everything about it, the software is working fine and we both have a copy of iLife '09. Anyways, about one week ago he got the iMac back from the shop because his disk drive wouldn't eject the disk, it was stuck inside and making a loud clicking noise as if it was trying to eject the disk but it kept getting caught on something.

Well now we have a similar problem, the disk goes in but the iMac will not read it. My MacBook does so fine and we just tried. His iMac can take in, and eject the disk but it will NOT read or play the disk. It doesn't even acknowledge there is a disk in it via the icon appearing on the desktop.

First off, what could be happening? Did the shop do a bad job. By the way the shop wasn't an Apple Store, but they were certified to work on Apple products.

I know this forum is notorious for quick replies, and thanks a ton in advance.

OP
KeithTeeple
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I'm not one to do this but bump.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to take your Dad's machine back where it was worked on. It sounds as if they did not replace the drive but instead "repaired" it. If the drive ejection mechanism is defective, no amount of adjustment or repair to it is going to suffice. The drive probably should be replaced.

As for having it repaired at a certified Apple authorized repair depot or shop, that's fine. However, if there is an Apple store nearby your home, you might give them a call and make an appointment to have them look at it.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.