Personal Finance Software--Which One?

Reaction score
I've been researching the various applications to get my personal finances organized. The options are overwhelming: iWallet, iBank, iMoney, iCash, Quicken, MacMoney, Fortora, Moneydance, ETCTERA !!!

It's rather maddening. I would greatly appreciate a reference to a good review. I've found several mediocre reviews of software, most of which are outdated. Additionally, it would be great to hear what other people are using and what they like/dislike about their current software.

Thanks

Craig

Reaction score
I recently switched over to Splash Money because I wanted something that synced easily between my Palm Centro and my iMac. It works better then I ever would have expected. I notice it also is available for the iPhone.

Reaction score
Personal finance apps--which one?

I am interested in this question too. I really need to get a good app to track my budget and expenses. I liked Quicken very much when I used it a few years ago on a PC --love the way I could download my bank info, and then assign categories and subcategories of expenses and income to each item on my statements. Then create useful reports to see where my money was being spent.

But I have read so many bad reviews about the Mac version.

I have an iMac and plan to do all my financing on it. No interest in apps that work with iPhone, really. I just want one program that does it all, elegantly. And while I have not checked out programs like Mint, I am not sure I trust the online systems--would prefer to buy the software and run it on my machine, and keep my data at home.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.

beautdogs, I'm with you. I, too, am looking for something to run on my iMac and not too interested in syncing with a portable. The Mint.com does make me nervous, also. But, it has high rating from Money magazine and they assure good security. I do like the idea of software for my iMac rather than an online system better. I really don't see myself accessing my personal financial info at work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
I do not trust any cloud enough to look after my Bank accounts and investments.

I use CheckBook Pro. and have done for a few years now, it has never let me down. It doesn't balk at running 4 weekly income and expenditure schedules either. A clean and tidy app that can import QIF and OFX files but that is optional.
Splasm Software: ...Oozing Powerful Software

I previously used iBank from when it first started out but it has tried to become everything to everyone and has to my mind failed.

OP
E
Reaction score
torchy, does Checkbook Pro access your accounts online for you? Does it include profiling loan accounts? (i.e. student loans, car loans, mortgage?)

thanks for the response

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure how you want to keep Loan records but the payment & interest records can be entered in the same way as a Credit card or Mortgage account.
Can import QIF and OFX.
No third party software accesses my bank accounts :) Safari only.

Check out the web site in my last post, lots of info and there is a free trial available to see if it suits you.

Reaction score
torchy, does Checkbook Pro access your accounts online for you? Does it include profiling loan accounts? (i.e. student loans, car loans, mortgage?)

thanks for the response

SpashMoney does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Splash Money accesses some Banks in a few Countries.
There are No New Zealand or Australian Banks listed.

Reaction score
I've recently come across MoneyWell, which works on the old-fashioned envelope-budgeting principle to stop you over-spending. It's easy to use, has a very simple interface. It deals pretty well with multiple currencies too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.