• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

AVCHD editing on Macbook

Reaction score
I did a forum search and found conflicting posts.

Am looking at either a MB or MBP. Wallet advises a MB while the gadget-freak-inside wants a MBP.

Am going to try my hand at editing AVCHD files to create home movies; have never tried it before. Looking at either iMovie, FCE, or FCP. Probably prefer FCE, but have access to FCP at a good price.

How do these programs run on a 2.0 GHz Macbook? 2.4 GHz Macbook?

I prefer the MBP but it's financially a drain, although an early '08 model may be an option. I know that the MBP is the best option with better viewing screen, dedicated graphics card, etc; however, I am curious to know if editing is possible and takes place at an acceptable pace on the smaller MBs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Final Cut Pro will not run on a MacBook, if you want to log and capture from a DV Cam (not hard drive) you will need a firewire port (meaning you will need a MacBook Pro). If you are looking to simply edit the footage, nothing too fancy, then FCE will work fine for you. I don't have any experience with iMovie, so I don't know how that would work out for you.

OP
T
Reaction score
Great. Thanks for the info. Firewire isn't a necessity. I have a Canon Vixia HF100 with an SD card. An SD slot or USB port is all required.

And FCE will work fine on a 2.0 GHz also?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
From experience, iMovie is relatively easy to use and the included help adequately explains most tasks. More of a learning curve if you were used to iMovie 6, but I have imported and edited video from my Sony HD camera without any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Great. Thanks for the info. Firewire isn't a necessity. I have a Canon Vixia HF100 with an SD card. An SD slot or USB port is all required.

And FCE will work fine on a 2.0 GHz also?
Just make sure the video format is compatible with iMovie, SD cams are notorious for using weird codecs that only their software can read. If it's on this list, you should be fine.

FCE will be fine on 2GHz, it's requirements are:
  • A Mac computer with a 1.25GHz or faster PowerPC G4, PowerPC G5, Intel Core Duo, Intel Core 2 Duo, or Intel Xeon processor
    • For AVCHD: A Mac computer with an Intel processor
  • 1GB of RAM or more
  • An AGP or PCI Express graphics card compatible with Quartz Extreme; or an Intel GMA integrated graphics processor in a MacBook or Mac mini computer
    • Some FxPlug filters are not compatible with integrated Intel graphics processors.
  • A display with 1024-by-768 resolution or higher
  • A DVD drive for installation
  • Mac OS X v10.4.10 or later
  • QuickTime 7.2 or later
  • 500MB of disk space to install Final Cut Express and LiveType
  • Additional 500MB to install LiveType content

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.