It just...died...

Reaction score
Probably a common problem this. It's happened to me once before, but I was covered then by AppleCare so I didn't have to worry about it. I have a 13 inch...Macbook running on Tiger.

Right, basically...I'm sitting there playing a bit of poker and using MSN when suddenly everything but the mouse cursor freezes. I move it about a bit, trying to click on stuff to get it to respond, but nothing. I decide after a couple of minutes to switch it off and back on again and...it did it's chime at the start, before making four very strange clicking noises from somewhere internal. It then proceeds to make a struggling sound for a couple of minutes before the old flashing question mark appears. The keyboard and mouse are completely unresponsive and I'd just a like a few opinions on the general diagnosis from what I have just described.

Like I said before...it's the second time this has happened. First time I just sent it to Apple to be repaired, as it was only a month old. Irritating thing is...I just realised now, three years on, they forgot to send my OS installation disc back, because I was unable to remove it before I had to send it off.

Anyway, if I've left anything important out please tell me and I'll try to answer. Thanking yoooooooooou.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sounds like the Hard Drive died. The Clicking sounds and then the folder with the question mark usually indicate the drive is dying. I would tell you to put in your OSX DVD and boot and run Disk Utility, but you do not have your OSX DVD! I would get a hold of Apple and tell them what happened and get another DVD.

I am pretty sure though it's the hard drive that died.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.