Connect Digital Video and audio to TV/Receiver

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a 15" Intel Macbook Pro which was stolen and recovered with a damaged case and screen. It still runs fine.

I'm thinking of teaming it with an external hard drive and an EyeTV and using it as my main video and audio source. I am using an old analog TV right now so all I'll be doing is using the PAL DVI to Video adapter and an analog audio connection.

My question is, when I upgrade later this year to a widescreen TV I want to get digital video and surround audio out of the MBP and into my new TV and sound system. From what I read this will need to be via a DVI to HDMI cable for video only (the MBP doesn't output audio through its DVI port I'm told) plus a Toslink optical audio cable with 3.5mm jack adapter. The tricky part is that when you plug a HDMI cable into a widescreen TV it expects to get both video and audio, so usually you can't connect the optical audio cable as it isn't recognised as a companion input.

Am I going to have to buy an A/V receiver to overcome this? If so, has anyone done it? Any recommendations based on experience are most welcome!!

Ken.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's not a matter of your MBP not having audio through DVI. DVI itself just does not support audio.

Everything you have been told is correct. Yes, I've been doing this for quite awhile. The TV speaker volume has not been turned above zero on any of my TV's for maybe 15 years.

Any recommendations on a receiver really requires much more detailed info, including: what you have been use to, what you want to achieve with a new system, the type and # of devices you plan to be connecting to the receiver, what size room are you putting it in, required ease of operation of all the integrated components, your budget, along with what is your satisfaction level with the sound you have been use to and what will be satisfying to you in the long run. Based on the answers to these type of questions, a valid recommendation could vary from a $300 setup to a $5000+ set up.

Most people are well satisfied with sound systems, including speakers, in the $700-$2000 range. Although, the last friend I helped get set up with a new TV, Blu-Ray and sound is thrilled to death with his $350 all-in-one 5.1 sound system. His total set up price, including a 42" LCD, PS3, surround sound and connecting his existing Wii was under $1,500. His expectations were not high (comparatively speaking) and ended up with much better than he thought he would get.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks bobtomay!

Just to make sure I have understood you correctly:

when I upgrade to a widescreen TV and surround sound, I will need to ensure that my surround sound receiver or amplifier has an optical (digital) audio in port, which I expect to be pretty much standard in modern equipment.

Ken.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, the optical input is pretty standard now. But, don't fail to ask the question (or look at the spec sheet or back of the unit yourself). There are some cheapie units out there that will have coax digital instead of optical. The standard RCA inputs (red and white) are just fine for any source that does not have 5.1 capabilities.

Also, before buying a surround unit, consider how many devices you will want to connect: satellite or cable box, antenna, DVD, Blu-Ray, game device etc. You'll need to know your total needs prior to even looking at A/V receivers. And make sure it has at least one unused after connecting all your equipment for unforeseen growth in the future, or you may end up needing to replace a system with nothing else wrong with it. This typically is not a problem unless you're looking at the extreme low end.

One of the best sources of user reviews has just died, but there is still Amazon and a few others. Make use of the sites that allow for customer reviews when picking out your system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.