Share 802.11 Internet connection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
My parent's beach condo has an ISP that charges per day for 802.11 access. Is there a way I can share that connection with other machines also via the 802.11/Airport?
I'm using Leopard and a Macbook 13.
This way others (brother and mom) can piggyback off my connection rather than pay more than once. I realize we're not supposed to do that, but considering how much we pay in condo association fees it should be free for owners.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
in system preferences there is a Sharing tab, in there there is a checklist and one of the items is Internet sharing, try that

I don't have any details on how exactly it works, unfortunately

Reaction score
I have strong doubts that on the same wireless network is possible to access internet and share it to others computers. By sure this is possible if the internet connection is via an Ethernet cable or a USB modem or a different wireless net. Last case implies a special hardware configuration: double Airport or other.
I succeded to make Internet Sharing working only between to different networks

Reaction score
if the computers all have bluetooth you could share it that way. you could also share using firewire. I know using firewire is decent, but not sure how bluetooth speed would be

Reaction score
Perhaps it could be also possible with an appropriate configuration of routing tables, ipfw, natd, etc
This means not using the Internet Sharing feature, a help from an expert of these stuffs is needed.

Reaction score
Hi,
I have no experience in this but I doubt that a wifi network interface can be connected as a client to an access point and act as an access point in the same time.

You could do it if you connect to the internet with the ethernet cable or if you have another wifi card. (usb, pcmcia).

Tex

OP
TechieJustin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15"
Hi,
I have no experience in this but I doubt that a wifi network interface can be connected as a client to an access point and act as an access point in the same time.

You could do it if you connect to the internet with the ethernet cable or if you have another wifi card. (usb, pcmcia).

Tex

Actually, that might be the key right there.
Sometimes when I travel with other people int he company, we all have to pay for an internet connection in each room. I was hoping to share out my room's connection and save a few bucks.

Most hotels have wifi and an ethernet port.

But I can't find where the sharing option is.

Reaction score
Actually, that might be the key right there.
Sometimes when I travel with other people int he company, we all have to pay for an internet connection in each room. I was hoping to share out my room's connection and save a few bucks.

Most hotels have wifi and an ethernet port.

But I can't find where the sharing option is.
In this case, this might help : Mac OS X 10.5 Help: Sharing your Internet connection

Tex

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.