Sharing an Internet Connection

A

adamburgess

Hello. Hope someone can help. I know nothing at all about networking!

I have a Broadband connection (using a USB ADSL modem) into my Mac and would like to share it with an XP machine through Ethernet. A sort of step by step guide would be nice. Here's what I've done so far...

I enabled Internet Sharing in System Prefs. and it tells me I am sharing my connection using my modem to computers using Built-in-Ethernet.

I managed to get the PC to see the Mac using a LAN (I think!) but that's as far as I got.

Can it be done...? I know the computers can see each other so cables and things are fine.

Thanks

Adam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 800MHz 640MB RAM cd/dvd writer, airport card. My first Mac ever and learning....
Ics

How are the mac and pc connected? if ethernet, are you using a crossover cable?
First, check to see if sharing is on, then check if the pc is receiving an ip address.
If it is, you should be able to connect, if not, might be a DNS problem.

Reaction score
Hello. Hope someone can help. I know nothing at all about networking!

I have a Broadband connection (using a USB ADSL modem) into my Mac and would like to share it with an XP machine through Ethernet. A sort of step by step guide would be nice. Here's what I've done so far...

I enabled Internet Sharing in System Prefs. and it tells me I am sharing my connection using my modem to computers using Built-in-Ethernet.

I managed to get the PC to see the Mac using a LAN (I think!) but that's as far as I got.

Can it be done...? I know the computers can see each other so cables and things are fine.

Thanks

Adam

G'day adamburgess,

Here are a few links which have helped me in the past.

Networks & Sharing

Connecting to Windows XP from a Mac

Sharing Files Between Windows XP and Mac OS X

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.