Ibook G4 Won't start after trying to replace Hard Drive

Reaction score
Ok, Here's the deal. I have an Ibook G4 14" 1.44 Ghz. I tried installing a new Hard Drive, but as I was taking it apart. The power Button outlet disconnected from the logic board. I carefully superglued it back on, making sure the two parallel parts connected, and put in the original hard drive. Everything Should be in working order, but it still will not turn back on! PS. If you think i should have soldered that one part, why is it that you cannot just super glue it? So please help! I am a freshman in college and im screwed without my comp!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
Ok, Here's the deal. I have an Ibook G4 14" 1.44 Ghz. I tried installing a new Hard Drive, but as I was taking it apart. The power Button outlet disconnected from the logic board. I carefully superglued it back on, making sure the two parallel parts connected, and put in the original hard drive. Everything Should be in working order, but it still will not turn back on! PS. If you think i should have soldered that one part, why is it that you cannot just super glue it? So please help! I am a freshman in college and im screwed without my comp!

Yes this is a known issue with certain boards. Why do you think you can superglue an electrical connector onto a circuit board so that it works??

Basically you have to solder the connector back onto the motherboard!

If the superglue was conductive then you have just shorted the two pins out. If the superglue was not conductive then you have not made a connection so the button will not work !!

Now to fix the problem.....

If the superglue you used is NON conductive then you could TRY and solder the pins to the motherboard and hope that the heat breaks the glue down, alternatively you could try and remove the glue (which will be rather difficult) and lastly you could follow the tracks to find a location to connect the two wires to which is NOT covered by the superglue (the best solution if you are able to).

If the superglue you used is conductive then you need to cut the glue between the two connectors on the motherboard in order to break the electrical connection.

The reason I am giving you two options is that I do not know if superglue conducts or not BUT either way you have caused a problem.

Basically this same problem has happened so many times there are lots of printed solutions but you have complicated the matter with your original attempt at a fix. You can just solder two wires to the two pads on the motherboard and solder the ends of these wires to the bottom of the connector. This is easier for people with less soldering experience and allows you to do one at once.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.