What's Wrong with my iMac?

Reaction score
It's acting very weird -- hoping someone can give me a hand.

When I boot up the machine, the Apple logo comes up -- then turns into a circle with a line through it. Meanwhile, what sounds like a fan in the machine goes into high gear and doesn't stop.

Some background: The machine was getting progressively slower and slower. I did some research and it was suggested that turning off FileVault might help -- so I did that last night.

But when I tried to use the machine today, it seemed even slower than ever -- and was hanging repeatedly. So, I held the on/off switch and it powered down. Rebooted and up came the Apple logo that morphed into the circle with a line through it.

I have a sinking feeling that this is not a good thing ............

Also, back to the slowing down problem -- I'm wondering if one of my kids might have downloaded some sort of huge program from online (Photoshop?) that's been chewing up all the memory. I was thinking about simply deleting each of the three kids accounts (they each have a separate account) -- but will that delete the potential program or other such application that might be the problem?

Thanks for help on this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.