Macbook Woes

Reaction score
Dear All,

I am trying to sort out my nephews macbook.

The problem is that it will not start past the grey screen and Apple logo with the spinning wheel.

Nothing else seems to change the screen. I have tried pressing various combinations of keys ( command c ( shift s) ) ect, but nothing works. I inserted the software recovery cd but that just spins for about a minute then stops. The eject key doesn,t even work. I changed the hard drive for a new one I bought. This changed the screen to a folder with a question mark but nothing else happens.
Any help would REALLY be appreciated.
Many thanks
Navy

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You hold down the C key right after the Startup Sound and keep it down till it starts from the OSX DVD that came with your Macbook. If that does nothing try holding down the Option key right after the startup sound.

OP
N
Reaction score
Many thanks Dtravis7,

Tried both ways but still nothing....

Navy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
did you put in the new drive you bought and then press c during startup? it should let you install a new OS ... then you can connect the old drive with an external frame and get all the data

you can run a hardware check by pressing d during startup to see if anything shows up?

OP
N
Reaction score
Many thanks for replying.

Tried the new drive again and pressing d during startup. Still have the grey screen and flashing folder icon with a question mark.

Still unable to pass this point.

However, if I keep the power button pressed for 5 sec. The white light flashes rapidly and then a horn sounds. But nothing else.

Thanks again for all the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.