adding a "family" account

Reaction score
On my iMac, I want to add a "family" account to use with parental controls so I can protect my young ones from crazy stuff on the internet and limit their access to my work files.

So what I'd like is to start up the iMac and have it go directly into the family account, but I also want the family account to look and feel like my regular account ie, so that it has their games, their iTunes and so on, except that I'd be able to limit the internet access and some of my files.

How do I go about doing this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
First of all set up the new account in the accounts pref pane as set is as a standard user (not admin)

Under login options set that account to Automatically login as that account and enable fast user switching while you are there

Switch to your admin account and you can set parental controls from your account (from the current user name in the menu bar)

You can add any games and software to their doc if you switch back to the family account (any changes you make may require your admin username and password.

As for iTunes, do you want the family account to share with your itunes library, or acces a separate library of music?

OP
Jawbone
Reaction score
Thanks,
yes, I want to be able to access all the itunes and iphotos etc from the family account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.