Reinstalling 10.4 problems..

Reaction score
Hello, I am trying to reinstall everything on this MacBook Pro that I just bought. The problem im having is that when i insert the CD it hangs at the gray boot screen with the apple then says "you must restart your computer". I cant get past that point.

If i dont boot with CD it goes to the OS Login screen, but this is from the old users, so i dont have a password for any of the accounts.

Is there any way i can just totally delete everything off this computer and start fresh?

thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like that might not be the right install disc. Is it gray in color?

OP
E
Reaction score
Sounds like that might not be the right install disc. Is it gray in color?

It is gray in color, but ive used this CD before on a macbook and another macbook pro. but the other two computers were wiped clean before i installed the OS. This one is not.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is gray in color, but ive used this CD before on a macbook and another macbook pro. but the other two computers were wiped clean before i installed the OS. This one is not.

The gray discs are typically customized to the machine they are sold with (from a driver standpoint). So, although you may have been able to use it on differing models that were close enough in terms of chipset, that will not always be the case. Sounds like that's exactly what you've run into here.

OP
E
Reaction score
ok, I guess my best bet would be to go buy the leopard universal install CD. Thank you for your help!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, I guess my best bet would be to go buy the leopard universal install CD. Thank you for your help!

Well, can you get the original discs from the seller? It would be a shame to buy a copy of Leopard that doesn't even come with iLife (you also won't have access to the Apple Hardware Test, which is available only on the system discs).

If that's not an option, I've heard that one can get replacement original system discs for around $40, directly from Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.