iMac not recognising external devices - HD Failing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Hi. Just recently my trusty G4 iMac has started acting up. It is very slow at times, and yesterday I plugged in my camera to transfer photo's into iPhoto, and it mounted the drive ok, but then gave the message that the files couldn't be found. I searched them and got the same error.
I dragged them to the desktop manually, and then tried dragging them into iPhoto. Same message, but it did eventually import them, after about 30 clicks on the "find file" button.
I have also found that my external drive will no longer mount (firewire). I thought it was the drive, but I don't think it is now. I got it to mount a while back and it was fine.
Could any of these faults be the HD failing? It's done well at 5 years plus continuous use, but I'd like it to carry on.
I did think that the slowness was down to the software updates being aimed at newer OS versions and more up to date processors, but I'd like some confirmation of that if possible.
Any thoughts? Thanks.

OP
Kevriano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
No-one? Really? No opinions? Man........

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.