Trouble restoring Mac OS X

Reaction score
This one is confusing me. I have an old eMac that originally came with 9.2.2. It was upgraded to 10.2.2 for which I have the Mac OS Install discs (2 of them). It was then upgraded to 10.3.9. The only OS install discs I have are the 10.2.2

When placing the discs in the CD tray, I can read/view the discs just fine in the mac once booted. I can display the disc/contents in the preferences section for boot drive. I can hold down "c" when the machine is booting.

None of this will boot the install disc from the CD rom. It will only boot from the internal hard drive. I even held down "option" to select the cd rom myself. It only lists the internal HD. I was told the "option" key can take minutes to display all the boot options, I left it for 30 minutes and it still only listed the internal HD.

I bought an external firewire enclosure for a 5.25" cd rom incase my internal cd rom was busted. It will read/view the installer disc just fine much like the internal, but it will not boot the installer disc either.

I am lost, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.