adium

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.2gHz g4, 12 inch, 60 gig, 768RAM, bluetooth, ATI radeon 9200, macally bluetooth mouse, JBL speaker
i recently(last week) starting using adium and really like it. if im gonna stick with that, should i get rid of ichat. and how do i get rid of the ichat button on the menu bar, right next to the battery life and time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
The button should be in the preferences OF the ichat button in the menu bar. And getting rid of the program isn't a good idea. You may have problems sometime connecting with Adium. A backup is just always useful. iChat doesn't take up THAT much space anyway.

N

nbn22385

For ichat, quit, drag it out of the dock, then in system preferences>accounts>startup items; make sure ichat isnt there. I agree, adium is awesome and it looks much better.

M

myjay610

Adium has flaws. It's just like gaim, in fact, it is gaim pretty much. Try transfering files or just wait until something screws up on it because it's open source and inherently has several errors with it. Keep iChat, your system is going to work better if you take it off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum 12" 1.33ghz PowerBook G4 w/ 1280mb RAM, 80gb 5400rpm HD, 64mb vid RAM
I disagree. I don't know when you used Adium last, but they update just about every other month, and it works really well now. File transfers are not a problem anymore, and while there are a few glitches, I'd much rather put up with one single glitch that occurs very seldom than using iChat and not being able to have a profile or do a lot of other things that Adium lets you do. Tabbed IM windows... skinnable EVERYTHING... It's a great program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i dl'd it the other night because yahoo mac is buggy. it seems to work really well for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
Yeah file transfers in Adium are just super, I love not knowing how much of the data I've sent. That "sending file" text sure is useful! ;)

Seriously, Adium is a bad program but there are no real alternatives that are any better.

D

d-funct

I've found adium to be a great IM tool .. though I agree with the not been able to see how much data you've sent stuff and having to go though quite a bit to see someones icon at the right size

But apart from those issues I find it a great app ... just wish that they would implement some of the features found in MSN Plus! on the PC like comeback messages and the time the contact has been on/offline then it would be the king of IM programs :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Until Adium comes out with their next version Im sticking with Proteus. I used Adium for a couple of weeks this last release and it has several things that I liked better than Proteus, but it has things that I just couldnt live with that were worse than Proteus.. so I switched back. I do think this next version of Adium is going to kick butt so I am looking forward to it :)

And keep iChat, no reason to get rid of it. Especially since if you want to voice or video chat.. you're going to need it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I dont like adium cause I do lots of transfers of files and adium suck for transfers, cause it wont transfer to ichat or aim.

M

myjay610

You know it seems to me with every AIM client - there is always ONE thing about each one that I dont like.

AIM - no tabs
iChat - no profile/tabs/really really dumb feedbag errors when you try and add people
Adium - file tranfers/audio
etc...

Haha, why can't there be one that has it all?

Also, I'm not sure how this happened, but some how one of the clients screwed up my groups, so like now I have so many duplicate buddies in groups, it's all wacked out, did this happen to anyone else? It looks like I have 4 times as many people on my list than I should.

T

Tiranis

I believe that Adium is going to be really good once it reaches 1.0! After all it is just 0.76 now and it is already pretty good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I really like Adium, but if it had file transfer UI instead of that text that Edge's making fun of it would really help. If you want video, iChat is obviously your man. If you want a somewhat poorly ported program, but a little bar for your file transfers, go with AIM. The problem with AIM is that file transferral has been notoriously bad with backward compatiblity to other AIM users. So there are STILL issues with it. I say keep both iChat and then either use Adium or Proteus most of the time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.