Don't upgrade to Leopard!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4
I was very happy with my PowerBook G4 running Tiger but the Apple store assured me it would run better if I upgraded to Leopard. I had 32 GB left on my hard drive. $136.00 later - Mail crashes if I try to attach anything to an e-mail, can't get my wireless Canon printer to work with my Airport Base Station, can't use Print Shop etc, etc. I'm going back to the Apple store, get my money back and downgrade back to Tiger until the new MACs come out later this year!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It depends on how you did the upgrade. When Leopard was first released, it was well-known that a straight upgrade generally resulted in an unstable system.

If this is the route you took, I would highly recommend you go back and do an "archive and install". This provides a clean install while still retaining your documents/settings and applications.

There is nothing inherently wrong with Leopard. It does have a larger footprint than Tiger, but if you have adequate hardware, it does have a host of excellent new features.

OP
bandit
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4
Thanks cwa107 for your reply, I appreciate your time

I did a standard upgrade. Should I uninstall Leopard and do a different type of install from the CD menu? I notice you can choose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I did a standard upgrade. Should I uninstall Leopard and do a different type of install from the CD menu? I notice you can choose.

Perhaps you should re-read the previous post.

I would highly recommend you go back and do an "archive and install". This provides a clean install while still retaining your documents/settings and applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
There is nothing inherently wrong with Leopard. It does have a larger footprint than Tiger, but if you have adequate hardware, it does have a host of excellent new features.

The key words being "adequate hardware." I've found G4 laptops (all G4 laptops) to be inadequate hardware for Leopard. However, I've not yet tried it on one with 2 GB of RAM installed. But I did use it with one that had 1.25 GB installed and it did not work well at all.

Things might be different with a dual G4 desktop with more RAM and a faster hard drive as well, or with G5s. But with Leopard, Apple definitely put plenty of time into ensuring good performance for Intel users, but they didn't do much to assist PPC users (even those with late-model PPC Macs).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Things might be different with a dual G4 desktop with more RAM and a faster hard drive as well, or with G5s. But with Leopard, Apple definitely put plenty of time into ensuring good performance for Intel users, but they didn't do much to assist PPC users (even those with late-model PPC Macs).

Things may get even more difficult for PPC users when Apple releases Snow Leopard. There's a chance it may require an Intel processor to run at all. I personally don't think Apple will leave the PPC folks out in the cold but one never knows....?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I personally don't think Apple will leave the PPC folks out in the cold but one never knows....?

From iLife '09's system requirements section at the Apple Store online: 'GarageBand Learn to Play requires an Intel-based Mac with a dual-core processor or better.'

This is just a hint of things to come.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.