• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Need advice on iMovie versions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4, 1.67GHz; iBook G4, 933MHz
I would appreciate some advice regarding some software upgrades vs. having to change machine. I'm putting this in video as one of the issues with the latest software is its requirements exceed my computers' capabilities.

I'm running an iMac G5, 1.8GHz, 1GB, and an iBook G4, 933 MHz, 640MB. Both are on OSX 10.3.9. This all started when I wanted to get some new virus software, looked at intego, and seeing they wanted OSX 10.4+. OK, not a real problem, I should upgrade a bit anyway. So, I thought I'd get the latest - 10.5.5, iLife 09, iWorks09. However, checking further, the biggest obstacle was iMovie wouldn't run on either of my machines, and some of the other parts appeared marginal, as well.

Now, I'm faced with trying to find "prior version" software, such as OSX 10.4.4 , iWorks 06, iLife 06. Also, I'd have to check which version of iMovie will recognize an HD camcorder such as a Canon HV-10 (I believe it to be 06HD, but could not find anything definite after a lot of googling). My only other option would be to try to sell my existing machines (at a big loss) and buy a newer Macbook Pro with the latest software. Then, that all spins to the limits of control with selling, trying to trade-in, etc.

Anyone have any experience with iMovie 06HD on a machine with similar characteristics to mine? Obviously I'd use the iMac mostly, though if on a trip I'd want to use the iBook, even if in a limited way. Is it slow or clunky? Am I stupid for trying to keep going with what I have? I feel dumb letting go of otherwise decent shape machines, hence the "intermediate" software idea. And, any ideas where I can get prior versions which are legitimate? BTW, alternatively I could go with a version of final cut express, but with similar compatibility issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.