Why can I not move a .dmg or .iso to an external HD?

Reaction score
I have a .dmg file that i want to put on my external to back it up but when i attempt to drag the file onto the external i get a message saying

"Sorry, the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occured. (Error code 0)"

I converted the .dmg to a .iso and i got the same error message.

Any ideas?

This file is greater then 4.7 gigs so and i cannot figure out how to burn it. This is why i ask.

Thanks very much!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If your external is formatted as Fat32, it will not take files larger than 4 GB.

OP
N
Reaction score
i see, is there a way to change the format of an external w/o loosing all the data on it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
you need to backup your data to another drive first, then you can partition it

you can't change the filesystem without erasing it

Reaction score
Actualy u can! And in Windows is quite simple, just check this: Converting FAT32 to NTFS in Windows XP

After u convert the disk to NTFS ur mac won't be able to write data on it, to do so u need to install ntfs-3g for mac, check it here: NTFS-3G for Mac OS X

If u don't plan to use the disk on a windows machine, u can format it in HFS, for that I advice to backup all ur data in the disk and then use disk utility to format.

cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.