Norton Anti-Virus Causing Problems With Zip Disc Eject

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - Retina 5K, 27-inch SSD, 4 GHz i7, 32GB
Zip Disc Not Ejecting With Norton Anti-Virus Active

Hello Mac-Forum members!

I have been using my two Power Mac Mac G5's in my technical illustration business and Zip 250Mb cartridges as part of my back-up of drawing files since 2005. For the past year or so, ejecting my Zip 100 and 250 cartridges out of the Zip 250 drives has been problematic with my G5's -- the cartridges won't eject until the third attempt, dragging the desktop Zip Disc icon to the trash. This problem started after an application upgrade. After some trial and error, I found that this problem was due to interference by my Norton Anti-Virus software. When the Norton Anti-Virus is active, the Zip cartridges require repeated dragging to the trash in order to eject them -- very frustrating! When the Anti-Virus is turned off, the cartridges eject at first attempt -- functioning properly. I am running Norton Anti-Virus 11, and this same problem was happening with version 10, also. I hope this helps others who are having this same problem with Zip disc's not ejecting properly. Thanks!

Peter Natscher, owner
TECHNICAL GRAPHICS -- Patent Drafting
Monterey, California

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello Mac-Forum members!

I have been using my two Power Mac Mac G5's in my technical illustration business and Zip 250Mb cartridges as part of my back-up of drawing files since 2005. For the past year or so, ejecting my Zip 100 and 250 cartridges out of the Zip 250 drives has been problematic with my G5's -- the cartridges won't eject until the third attempt, dragging the desktop Zip Disc icon to the trash. This problem started after an application upgrade. After some trial and error, I found that this problem was due to interference by my Norton Anti-Virus software. When the Norton Anti-Virus is active, the Zip cartridges require repeated dragging to the trash in order to eject them -- very frustrating! When the Anti-Virus is turned off, the cartridges eject at first attempt -- functioning properly. I am running Norton Anti-Virus 11, and this same problem was happening with version 10, also. I hope this helps others who are having this same problem with Zip disc's not ejecting properly. Thanks!

Peter Natscher, owner
TECHNICAL GRAPHICS -- Patent Drafting
Monterey, California

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm very anti Norton ever since Peter Norton sold the company to Symantec many years ago, so please take that into consideration with this reply. O:)

Norton Anti Virus software in my opinion, is a virus. I can well understand your concern about virus infections and so forth. But when was the last time you heard of someone who owned a Mac that was infected? If you must run AV software, try the free ClamAV which is much less intrusive and seems to work well.

ClamAV

Regards.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'm very anti Norton ever since Peter Norton sold the company to Symantec many years ago, so please take that into consideration with this reply. O:)

Norton Anti Virus software in my opinion, is a virus. I can well understand your concern about virus infections and so forth. But when was the last time you heard of someone who owned a Mac that was infected? If you must run AV software, try the free ClamAV which is much less intrusive and seems to work well.

ClamAV

Regards.

What he said, I second.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I would second that as well (to third it sounds like bad grammar)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
One advice for SAV Anti Virus - trash it today.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not a Norton advocate anymore but want to make sure I'm not passing any viruses to my PC that I share my drawing work with. My drawings go back and forth between my Mac and PC. I also don't want to pass viruses to my client's PC's when I email them my drawing work from my Mac. I guess I'll deactivate (uninstall) the Norton Anti-Virus on my Mac and leave it up to my PC to handle its own Virus protection issue. I was trying to cover more bases but not at the expense of my Mac's performance. Thanks!

Peter

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will!

Tanks,
Peter

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It would be different if Norton Anti Virus were actually protecting you from something. But besides Windows viruses, which your Mac is immune from, there is nothing to protect against.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not a Norton advocate anymore but want to make sure I'm not passing any viruses to my PC that I share my drawing work with. My drawings go back and forth between my Mac and PC. I also don't want to pass viruses to my client's PC's when I email them my drawing work from my Mac. I guess I'll deactivate (uninstall) the Norton Anti-Virus on my Mac and leave it up to my PC to handle its own Virus protection issue. I was trying to cover more bases but not at the expense of my Mac's performance. Thanks!

Peter

In my opinion, the onus is on the user to protect their machine from viruses. If you're running Windows without adequate virus protection, you deserve whatever you contract.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
NOTE: Merged cross-posted threads.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.