Installing Service Pack 3 on Macbook Pro

iij

Reaction score
I have been attempting to install Windows Service Pack 3 on my Macbook Pro with no results. I have googled this topic to death and still have had no luck.
At first, I got a message that there wasn't enough space on the hard drive to install SP3, when in fact I had 70 GB free, so I knew that couldn't be the problem.
Googling this, I found the following:

This happens because iMac uses EFI file format which Windows XP does not support. To workaround this problem, add a registry key as follows:

1. Click Start - Run - Type “regedit” and press enter.

2. Navigate to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
\Software
\Microsoft
\Windows
\CurrentVersion
\Setup

3. In the right pane, Right-click and select New - String value

4. Name it as “BootDir” and set its value to “C:\

This should help. Try installing SP3 and should work fine

I have attempted this, and this eliminated the "not enough free space" error, and the installation continued further. However, midway through I got a message saying "setup cannot copy the file osloader.ntd" and it stopped. Nothing on google appears for this condition and have had to abort the installation, the computer was reverted back to SP2 and I got a message saying that windows may not function properly. I did a system restore from a previous day to make sure my computer was back the way it was before trying to install SP3.

I read some posts on the forums and some people said that the above procedure fixed the problem and that they were able to install SP3 with no problems. Not sure how they did it, but would appreciate if anyone can share any of their experiences who were fortunate enough to get SP3 installed on their Macbook Pros.
Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you download and install Boot Camp 2.1 prior to installing SP3?

See the following download link and take note of the statement which says that BC 2.1 must be installed prior to updating XP to SP3.

Link

Regards.

Reaction score
You were not clear in the OP whether you were upgrading an existing XP SP2 boot camp installation to XP3, or whether you are trying to create a fresh, new XP SP3 install.

If the former, then chscag is correct - you need to install BootCamp 2.1 IN WINDOWS before upgrading Windows to SP3. 2.1 is a windows executable - it does not install in OSX.

If the latter, it should install. I can't help you there - but other users have definitely had success installing from OEM SP3 discs. One option would be to boot up OSX, go into Boot Camp assistant, "restore" your partition and start over, taking care to follow the instructions on the BC installation guide (which you should print out) to the letter. If that doesn't work, you might try to download a trial copy of Fusion and try to install it as a VM. If it installs there, then the issue is with Boot Camp somehow. If it does not install under Fusion, then I suspect you have a bad disc.

Good luck.

OP
I

iij

Reaction score
Thanks a million!

Did you download and install Boot Camp 2.1 prior to installing SP3?

See the following download link and take note of the statement which says that BC 2.1 must be installed prior to updating XP to SP3.

Link

Regards.

Thanks bud! That is exactly what I needed to do.
I had BC 2.0 at the time. I installed 2.1 and the installation worked like a charm! I really appreciate your help, as I am a relatively new Mac user and don't know too much. You rule!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.