Best graphics card for old G5 dual 2.7, switch from AGP to PCI?

Reaction score
So I'm trying to squeeze 6 more months out of this one before buying a new system.

I have a G5 dual 2.7 and I'm wondering if updating the graphics card will help the speed of AE. Everything else runs OK but some things in AE really make the system hicup. I have 7 GB of RAM and the card i have now if i remember is i think a radeon 9800? I have two 20" displays.

If I upgrade to the Radeon X850XT or X800 XT will it help the active render while moving keyframes around in after effects? Or is there a PCI card that will work, isn't that a faster interface?

Any ideas would be great.

OP
G
Reaction score
Just tell me if updating the graphics card will help for few months until I get the loot to buy a new system. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
Nope, won't work. Keep whatever you have. There are no upgrades you can get that will be worthwhile, especially if you are using PCI. PCI is a ton slower than AGP.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's been a few years ago, but I upgraded my PC from the 9800 to the X800 XT and thought it was worth it at the time. Although, my use was for gaming.

You don't want a PCI card. They are lower end cards. The higher end cards made during that time frame as far as I'm aware were either 8x AGP or PCIe, not the PCI-x slots in your G5.

Am pretty sure it'll run you $200 or more for the card and I can't answer as to whether it would really make that much difference in that particular app or not. My best guess only, since you're looking for speed improvement, you would be disappointed in the improvement vs the cost. And that's assuming you could find someone that actually has one in stock.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.