Unable to install windows Vista (OEM)

Reaction score
I have just purchased windows vista home premium (OEM version) to run on my iMac. Bootcamp is able to create the partition, and then asks to start the windows installation.

When the windows installation starts, my mac restarts itself, and instead of bringing up the blue installation screen for windows, all I seem to get is a black screen, with a flashing white cursor in the top left hand corner. Nothing happens at all after this!

Anyone got any ideas on what I should do?

Cheers!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have just purchased windows vista home premium (OEM version) to run on my iMac. Bootcamp is able to create the partition, and then asks to start the windows installation.

When the windows installation starts, my mac restarts itself, and instead of bringing up the blue installation screen for windows, all I seem to get is a black screen, with a flashing white cursor in the top left hand corner. Nothing happens at all after this! Anyone got any ideas on what I should do?

Cheers!

When you created the Boot Camp partition, did you select NTFS? Vista will not install on any other format other than NTFS. I can't off hand think of anything else that may have prevented it from starting the installation as the OEM Home Premium edition should work.

Regards.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
OP
D
Reaction score
?

There was no option to select NTFS?

The partition was created, but when I clicked on install windows, nothing happens at all!?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There was no option to select NTFS?

The partition was created, but when I clicked on install windows, nothing happens at all!?

I suggest starting over. Go back into the Boot Camp assistant, choose create partition, choose restore. That will restore the entire HDD back to OS X. Reboot the machine.

Select Boot Camp assistant and create another partition large enough for your Vista installation. Refer to the Boot Camp installation guide. Link

Insert your Vista OEM DVD and click on "Install Windows" from the Boot Camp assistant menu. Be sure to follow the directions in the guide. You must format the Boot Camp partition as NTFS in order to install Vista.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.