Kernal Panic on a G4

Reaction score
I have a G4 with the following spec and have been running OS 10.3.9 for about 3 years.
Machine Model: Power Mac G4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (11.3)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 533 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 256 MB
Bus Speed: 133 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.1.4f1

About 3 months ago whilst using Safari the mouse started sticking and finally the screen would freeze. In December this would be followed by a Kernal Panic message so I read up on the subject and did the following to isolate the problem:
Replaced the 256 Dimm chip.
Did and Archive and reinstall.
Unplugged hardware etc.

This seemed to do the trick for about 2 weeks but the Kernal Panic problem returned, again whilst using Safari.

I am strapped for cash so cannot really afford a new MAC at the moment so maybe it is the old version of Safari that is the issue (I am often told by websites to upgrade it)? I could order additional RAM so I could install and upgrade the Mac to an up to date OS X but again am loathe to do so if the software is not really the issue.

The only other problem I have ever had with the MAc was when I was running OS 9 and that was due to internet explorer which would cause the Mac to freeze so it seems to my untechnical eyes to maybe have something in common with the current issue.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Surprised she runs at all with only 256MB memory. The symptoms you describe about the mouse could be a faulty USB socket or plug, defective keyboard, they do fail you know and yours is coming up to ten years or so.

Try with say 2 x 512MB sticks of PC 133 memory and see if there is an improvement. Memory is pretty cheap:-

Memory Upgrades for your Apple PowerMac G4 Digital Audio 533MHz (2001) at OtherWorldComputing.com

That is the type of memory you need and you may be able to pick up some second hand at eBay or similar but make sure it is Mac compatible low denisty RAM.

OP
W
Reaction score
Problem solved. Thanks!

The mouse did need replacing and I now have 1gb so the g4 is working fine now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Lovely wickerman. Keep these old Macs alive and running mate!

Now if you upgrade to Tiger wowee!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.