Weird stuff during startup!!??

L

ldj

Hi all,

Lately my PB 17" hasnt been working so well. My internet is VERY slow for my connection. I havent restarted my mac for some time now, and i just restarted today. During the start up i get this flashing blue globe for about 30sec-1min and then a light blue folder with a question mark flashing on it.
What is this?? do i have a virus or something? or is there a problem with my mac and i should restore?

Tia.

OP
M

meltbanana314

There are no viruses for OS X.

When was the last time you repaired your permissions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions

OP
G

guerom00

Your system does not fing anything to boot on. It try to boot over network (hence the blue globe) and then give up (question mark).
Does it finally boot ?
If it does, you have to redefine your startup device (probably your hard drive) in System Preferences > Startup

OP
L

ldj

guerom00 said:
Your system does not fing anything to boot on. It try to boot over network (hence the blue globe) and then give up (question mark).
Does it finally boot ?
If it does, you have to redefine your startup device (probably your hard drive) in System Preferences > Startup

Yea thanks, that was the problem. I dont know why but the startup was on a network. I changed it back and it works fine now. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.