Creating a 802.11g off a 802.11n network...

Reaction score
Okay, so here's the deal...

My roommate and I use our wireless network for a LOT of streaming. We have an airport extreme with four hard drives attached to it, well over 1 TB of space, which is full of all kinds of movies/music. We also use it for time machine backups, wirelessly. As such, it's set up as an n-only network with extra wide channels. Anything less and things start lagging unbearably.

I just got a new iPhone. I know, I know, it's not n compatible. It makes me so sad I could cry. So I've been struggling to come up with solutions, and I may have come up with one, but I don't know if it works and don't want to spend the money to try it until I know for sure!

So here's the question:

Can I connect, via ethernet, an airport express to my Macbook Pro, then share the 802.11n connection my Macbook has via the airport card built in to the Airport Express, which would then create an 802.11g network? I even had an old Airport Express laying around that was only g, but stupid me sent it to a friend in another state (as I had the Airport Extreme) to use, before I even dreamed up buying an iPhone.

So what do you think, forums? Will my little scheme work? I'm absolutely fine with the g speeds for the iPhone, as it doesn't need more than that, but my network DOES need to be at n speed overall. Anyone have the electronics sitting around to try this out that could give it a shot and get back to me?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have never tried internet sharing like you're talking about on any of my systems and not really sure it will work or not. But, if it does work, your iPhone data would be traveling across the g network, then via cable to your Mac, then via the n network to get to the internet.

I use a D-Link 655 connected to the modem with a g/n network for my iPhones, PS3, and others. Then have a Time Capsule (with it's Airport Extreme) wired to the D-Link and have it set up with a 2nd n only network for my Mac's. This really works well.

Reaction score
So here's the question:

Can I connect, via ethernet, an airport express to my Macbook Pro, then share the 802.11n connection my Macbook has via the airport card built in to the Airport Express, which would then create an 802.11g network? I even had an old Airport Express laying around that was only g, but stupid me sent it to a friend in another state (as I had the Airport Extreme) to use, before I even dreamed up buying an iPhone.

So what do you think, forums? Will my little scheme work? I'm absolutely fine with the g speeds for the iPhone, as it doesn't need more than that, but my network DOES need to be at n speed overall. Anyone have the electronics sitting around to try this out that could give it a shot and get back to me?

You would connect the airport express via ethernet to the airport extreme. Setup the express in bridge mode. The airport express runs G at 2.4 gHz and the airport extreme runs N at 5 gHz. Just give the two wireless networks different names. I do this with a Belkin G router connected to an Airport extreme and it works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
You would connect the airport express via ethernet to the airport extreme. Setup the express in bridge mode. The airport express runs G at 2.4 gHz and the airport extreme runs N at 5 gHz. Just give the two wireless networks different names.

RSmith is right - this is the recommended way to do it. Definitely be sure to name both networks with a different SSID. ie: AirportG and AirportN

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.