Hard drive not showing up in disk utility

Reaction score
My Mac has been acting up lately. It won't come back from sleep mode and it won't boot half the time. When it doesn't boot properly, it shows a file folder with a question mark on the screen. I put in the Install Disk and and opened the Disk Utility. When this window opens, it lists the following on the left:

4.7 GB MATSHITADVD
Mac OSX Install Disk
WDC ROM MODEL HAWK

I need it to show the hard drive so I can click repair, correct? Somebody help me out here, I'm new to Macs, and I've done extensive searching.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What is the "WDC ROM MODEL HAWK"? Isn't that your hard drive? Did you try highlighting that entry and run verify?

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the verify button is not lit up or able to be selected. Its as if there is no hard drive found.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That indicates the drive is probably defective - either won't spin up or the electronics are toast. You may need a new hard drive.

Is this for an iMac or MacBook machine? If it's for a MacBook, replacing the hard drive is rather easy. Not so for a MacBook Pro and even more difficult for an iMac. Fortunately, hard drives are not an expensive item to replace if you can do it yourself.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try booting from your Tiger install DVD , and if any joy go to Utilities and run Disk Repair there and see what is reported. You cannot repair a drive you are booted from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
you can also run a hardware test by pressing D right at startup ... but Disk utility from the install DVD is a wiser choice

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.