November 2007 Mac Pro with NVIDIA Quadro 5600 Win only

Reaction score
Hi,

so I have a NVIDIA quadro 5600 graphics card (PNY model) from another machine and want to use it with my late 2007 Mac Pro since my ATI XT1900 is slowly dying, has some temperature issues.

I am only gonna use this machine for Windows and I am aware that the card won't work in MAC OS but I thought it should work just fine otherwise.

So I installed the card and connected a second PCI Express 6 pin power cable (in addition to the one that was there from my ATI card) from the mainboard (so from the unoccupied 6-pin connector next to the other one) to the card.
When I was switching on the machine, a buzzer sounds and apparently it means not enough power:

http://www3.pny.com/QuadroPDFs/5600P...quirements.pdf

so I thought there is something wrong with the mainboard 6-pin power connectors and used a molex y-adapter to directly connect the card to the power supply but with the same effect.

Next thing I tried to connect an external 200W power supply directly to the card, guessing that the MAC's power supply won't be enough (which it should...think 900W?) but still getting the buzzer sound.

Anyone tried this setup before or has some hints to how to resolve this issue?
If not, I guess I have to sell the card and look for an alternative - which card would be compatible for Windows use in my MAC Pro?

thank you all in advance,

Johannes Kohnle

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.