external hard drive not showing up

Reaction score
Hi,

This is a bit different from the other external hard drive posts I have come across.

I have taken my Westernal Digital 250 GB hard drive from my old iMac and turned it into an external hard drive (with an A.C. Ryan SATA casing with Firewire connect) for my new 20" 2.4 GHz iMac.

However, it is not showing up mounted on my desktop or anywhere else. Have tried both Firewire and USB connections. (This external hard drive comes with its own power cable that I have connected.)

Please help.

Cheers.

P.S. My old iMac is busted, so can't go for the Target Firewire Computer mode.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you know for sure that the drive is OK, then the only thing I can suggest is that the external case interface hardware is either defective, or you installed the drive incorrectly in the case.

Check all connections again and if you have another machine handy, Mac or Windows, try the drive there.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.