Need apps for osx 10.1.5

N

name in use

A lady in our church recently brought in her iMac to help out in the office, problem is she has no apps. I need a word processor, firewall, virus scanner, and a calander would be a bonus. Total Mac newb.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Umm...When you say she has no apps you mean she doesn't have the listed apps right? Becase if there are no apps....well...You've got other problems

Anyway, firewall, virus scanner, and a calendar are all built in to Mac OS X...(I only have experience with 10.3, but I'm pretty sure its all there). The firewall is built into the sharing pane of the system preferences, simply turn it on. Virus Scanner is not needed since Mac Os X has no viruses/spyware

Calendar would be iCal - included

Word Processor - If you are looking for something REAL simple, text editor will do, but I suggest iWork from Apple.

Thats about it!

OP
N

name in use

I'll be more specific

Sorry I didn't quite make myself clear.
She has the basic apps included with the system yes, but no iCal on 10.1. For word processing I need something free and MS word compatible, checked openoffice and abiword both require 10.2.
As for firewall, in system prefs I have the option to turn on or off sharing, ftp connections, etc. it doesn't explicitly mention firewall so do I need one or not.
Thanks.

Reaction score
name in use said:
Sorry I didn't quite make myself clear.
She has the basic apps included with the system yes, but no iCal on 10.1. For word processing I need something free and MS word compatible, checked openoffice and abiword both require 10.2.
As for firewall, in system prefs I have the option to turn on or off sharing, ftp connections, etc. it doesn't explicitly mention firewall so do I need one or not.
Thanks.

Does it by chance have Apple Works? If so there is a word compatable word processor there.

I have never used 10.1, but check in your system preferences under the shairing icon. There maybe a Firewall switch there like in 10.3 where you can turn it on. If not I have no idea.

OP
N

name in use

Verified, No firewall

I phoned a local computer store and he verified that there is no firewall on 10.1.5, it was introduced in 10.2. Now I just have to hope anyone ever reads this thread again. (hope, hope, hope, hope...)

OP
N

name in use

In System Preferences - Sharing I have 2 tabs "File & Web" and "Application".
In "File & Web" I can turn on file sharing, turn on web sharing, allow ftp access, set the computers name, and can access the network preferences (my IP adress is displayed with a button labeled "edit" which leads to network preferences")
In "Application" I can allow remote login, or allow remote Apple events (under which I can allow OS9 computers to use remote Apple events, and set password) and again I have My computers name and IP address.
Thanx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.