iMac memory into mini?

M

MacInWin

I have a 2.8 ghz IMac Intel Core 2 Duo that I upgraded to 4Gig of memory by removing the two 1gig SDRAMs and replacing them each with 2gig. Now I am thinking of buying my wife a mini Mac, the 1.83 Ghz, Core 2 Duo one. It comes with 1gig of memory.

So, my question is can I take out the 1gig of memory and put in the 2gb I took out of my IMac? The SODIMMs I removed say this:

1GB 2Rx16 PC2-6400S-666-12
HYMP112S64CR6-S6 AB

I know the challenges in opening the mini, I've seen the videos. I am a ham radio operator and I am comfortable with the inside of technology, so that's not the issue. The question is, will the chips fit electronically and work well in the mini?

TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
They both use DDR2 SO-DIMMs. The iMac uses DDR2-800 while the Mini uses DDR2-667. But you can move RAM that's faster than you need into a computer that takes slower RAM. In other words, yes, you can do what you're asking. If you put the iMac's DDR2-800 into the Mini, it'll just downclock to 667.

OP
M

MacInWin

Thanks for the quick answer. Now, to get She Who Must Be Obeyed into the Apple store...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.