PAYG iphone with a contract SIM in the UK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Book G4 10.5.5
Hi guys,

I think I have got the answer already, but I just wanted a reassurance before buying an iphone.

I am with O2 in the UK, so the exclusive network provider for the iphone, I took out my contract with a Window mobile only because that was the most expensive handset I could get. I would get the iphone if they were willing to give me a discount with my line rental, but they won't coz of the monopoly thing. So I am thinking of buying a PAYG iphone and use my contract SIM with it, I was told different stories on if it will work or not.

1. It will work perfectly, no problem, the only thing you won't have is the Wifi, but it's free anyway...

2. It will only let you call and text, nothing else, coz PAYG and contract iphones are differently programed...

3. No, it won't work at all, it's locked.

So, which is really the correct answer? I know unlocking is legal, but I don't want to crack it to make it work. By the way, I got all these answers from different staff from O2 itself...

So any insiders or first hand experience is appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
yes it will work fine. but you may not have visual voicemail. if you want the internet just add a web bolt on for £7.50 a month extra.

everything else will work fine.

cant believe o2 staff told you the phone is locked. the pay as you go iphones and the contract ones are the same phone, theres no difference at all, i used a pay as you go simcard in my contract iphone for the first few days will my contract was being set up. so theres no difference in putting a contract sim in a PAYG iPhone.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Book G4 10.5.5
Thanks, I have the free web data on my contact anyway, so does that mean I am good to go?

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Book G4 10.5.5
Finally got my iphone, got it from the Apple Store directly, we didn't even bother opening the PAUG sim I had to buy, just paid a tenner for the sake of it and used my contract sim right away, even for the activation. 2 days on, working perfectly fine on wiht a PAYG iphone with a contract sim. Tried the wifi at work, works good too. In fact, those guys at Apple told me loads of people got a contract sim with the PAYG iphone, works out cheaper for many of us! Apple and O2 needs to do sth to lower the contract deal!!! I think!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15inch Macbook Pro Aluminam, 2.4ghz Processor, 2gb RAM, 250gb HD, 256mb GeForce Nvidea Graphic
Finally got my iphone, got it from the Apple Store directly, we didn't even bother opening the PAUG sim I had to buy, just paid a tenner for the sake of it and used my contract sim right away, even for the activation. 2 days on, working perfectly fine on wiht a PAYG iphone with a contract sim. Tried the wifi at work, works good too. In fact, those guys at Apple told me loads of people got a contract sim with the PAYG iphone, works out cheaper for many of us! Apple and O2 needs to do sth to lower the contract deal!!! I think!

Hey, i am in in the same boat as you. For the Last 2 months i have been interested in purchasing an o2 iphone 3g pay & go with the intention of using my contract o2 sim. I was told the same stories which put me off purchasing the iphone. After reading your thread i think i am ready to purchase the iphone. Thanx.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.