Slow internet

Reaction score
I have just got an imac off my mum which she has had for about 2 years from new. she has only used it lightly and never had it online. The internet is really slow especially when i go on games or try and read an online magazine it is impossible to do it is that slow. I am new to apple macs so am not sure what i'm doing 100% yet. I also have a laptop running windows vista and the internet connection on that is great so i know it isn't the ISP. Looking around on other forums i have seen a few other peole saying they are having problems with the same thing but none of the solutions posted in reply have helped me. somebody please help me.

Thank you.

Reaction score
You might want to start by going to Finder/Go/Utilities/Disk Utility
In the Disk Utility window, select the harddrive
Then hit Verify Disk Permission and let it run.

Also... go to your browser. If you're using Safari, go under the Safari menu, select Empty Cache, Answer Yes. Then go back to the Safari menu, select Preferences, at the top to to Security, Show Cookies, Remove all. Then reboot. See if this helps. This is routine stuff that is good to do from time to time. If she has a lot under the History menu (under Safari), you could also delete all history.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I have tried both of these but neither have seemed to improve the speed. Could it be that this computer isn't capable of running at the same speed as the laptop or do you think there will be a solution. i am considering going to an apple store. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Are you running Safari and using a DSL or ADSL provider then try OPEN DNS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.