screen goes blank *when plugged in* -- how much longer will my iBook last?

Reaction score
I have seen many posts about other iBooks shutting off randomly when they are on battery power, but have not seen any that answered questions about iBooks turning off when they are plugged in. This has happened four times in the span of two and a half weeks and has stopped (no incidents for the past two weeks). I have reset my PRAM and PMU. Why would it be turning off on its own when it is plugged in?

Here are my current temp readings:
Battery: 86.0℉
Graphics Processor Bottomside: 119.3℉
Power Supply/Memory Bottomside: 114.8℉
Processor Bottomside: 115.7℉
SMART Disk TOSHIBA MK6025GAS (45DY3685S): 122.0℉

I'm working on my Master's thesis now (don't worry, it's backed up to an external drive), and will be done in June -- after that the student loan money and the Apple Education Discount are gone. I want to get the most out of this iBook, but I also don't want to be in a situation where I need a new computer but can't afford one. In other words, how much longer can this thing last me?

Any related stories about similar iBooks with a similar problem or advice on upgrading would be very helpful!

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Well it is really hard to say how long something will last for. Personally I would beg, borrow or steal a new laptop just for the peice of mind. I had many problems with XP at uni.

Just keep backs (time machine if you can), and see how it goes. I had an iBook crash on me a lot and it turned out it was the wireless card in the end. After taking it out all was well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.