How to clean daily?

APL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB mem 320GB HD
Do i need to clean my Macbook daily or just once a month. I ask this because i am in a very dusty place (Iraq) and it usually has a light film of dust/snd on it everyday so i use wipes and air for the surface and under keys, but what about internally?

I see no fan spot either, lol i just noticed that. Any guides to help here....

BTW love the mac

OP
A

APL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do i need to clean my Macbook daily or just once a month. I ask this because i am in a very dusty place (Iraq) and it usually has a light film of dust/snd on it everyday so i use wipes and air for the surface and under keys, but what about internally?

I see no fan spot either, lol i just noticed that. Any guides to help here....

BTW love the mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
i been over there twice, i was in the army.. spent 8 months over there each tour... clean it as often as you can.. i know people that lost computers and game system consoles over there due to dust and debris... also when you are not using it
zip-lock it or something, after it cools down of course.

OP
A

APL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nice good idea on zip lock. What about a guide to clean inside it?

Reaction score
im using the keyboard and mouse from my old emac so my black macbook wont get dirty :) .... but i do clean the screen with a microfiber cloth after and during it's use

edit: they make HUGE ziplock bags now... sell em at grocery stores.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Make sure you shut it down completely before putting it in a ziplock bag!

As for cleaning, a slightly (keyword SLIGHTLY) damp microfiber cloth will do the job. Wet one corner and wipe down an area, then dry it with a dry portion of the cloth to remove swirls and streaks. This also works on the screen, but be careful because dust and particles could scratch, so you might want to lightly dust it before wiping it down.

The fan vents through the back below the screen, beneath the hinge. I don't know what you can do about dust being sucked into the chassis by the fan. Just try to clear the area of dust as much as possible before starting it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
I guess a can of compressed air could help, though it's hard to say how well it would work against the powder-like sand in Iraq. I haven't been there but my cousin and one of my friends have both been deployed there at various times and they tell me the sand is much finer than it is in the U.S. and it gets EVERYWHERE. Compressed air cans are generally meant for dust, not sand, but it might help anyway.

I remember seeing a picture of a journalist who was using a PowerBook G4 12" outside, but he was using it through what looked like a glorified plastic bag. I wouldn't run it for long periods of time inside a plastic bag though. The biggest thing is to prevent the sand from getting inside in the first place, so making sure you only use it when you're inside and away from open windows/doors.

Another couple things you could do would be to see if you can get a screen protector and/or a keyboard protector for it. Not sure if that stuff is available out there but I've seen rubber keyboard shields that fit over keyboards and prevent stuff from getting in between the keys. A thin film screen protector might also be nice to prevent any sand that gets inside when the lid is closed from scratching the screen itself.

Good luck, I appreciate what you're doing for our country!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
I I haven't been there but my cousin and one of my friends have both been deployed there at various times and they tell me the sand is much finer than it is in the U.S. and it gets EVERYWHERE.

that is correct it is about the consistency of baby powder maybe even a lil finer.. it is insane you step in pile of it and it just blows away... so just clean it as much as you can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 uni
im using the keyboard and mouse from my old emac so my black macbook wont get dirty :) .... but i do clean the screen with a microfiber cloth after and during it's use

edit: they make HUGE ziplock bags now... sell em at grocery stores.

or the vacume bags they work well too

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.