imac G5 questions

Reaction score
hey guys and gals was wondering if any of you could help me out. found a guy selling an imac g5 but he says there issues with it and hes not sure what's causing it. heres what he describes the problem as he first starts out saying he was trying to put tiger 10.4.11 and it quit half way through and then that he deleted the operating system then he says when he turns it on is some words flashing it says something like library can not be found and some other code but i dont know what it is. any ideas what could be the issue here? is this a simple fix? thanks for your comments

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Unless this is something I have never run into before, if he truly formatted the drive and killed OSX there would be just a flashing folder with a Question Mark on the screen. I have a feeling he did not really totally delete OSX. I have a feeling Tiger is somewhat installed and thus getting that error he is seeing. My take anyway.

I have never once seen that error on a Mac with OSX.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Does the iMac come with the restore DVD's?

OP
O
Reaction score
not sure as of right now will find out here hopefully soon. if they do not come with it could i use my osx disks from my macbook? thanks for all your help so far.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can not use your Macbook discs for 2 reasons. The first is the DVD's that ship with say a Macbook are made to install on that exact model with the same exact specs only and will not install on any other Mac of different specs or model. The 2nd reason is the Macbook is Intel and the DVD would only install on an Intel Mac and not a Power PC like the G5 iMac is.

So see if you can get the DVD that came with that iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.