logicboard swap

Reaction score
before I go ripping things appart and finding out I don't know as much as you guys I'll ask.

I have 1 G4 gigibit logicboard with cpu and agp video card sitting in ESD bags in the drawer. I'm recieving an old blue and white G3 tower tomorrow with a good power supply but a dead logic board. can the G4 board be dropped into the the G3 case with the G3 power supply and actually work?

I reallize I'll probably have to dremel out the back plate to fit the I/O ports but that's not a bid deal at all if it needs to be done.

thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
I am going to go out on a limb here and say no, they are not compatible. The G3 power supply will not have enough juice to run the G4, and even if it did all the connections are different. Not to mention that it will not line up or fit properly in the case.

However I may be wrong since I have never owned a G3 tower. Apple does not use standard logic boards or power supplies, and in my experience they are all designed specifically for the model they came with. So I would be very surprised if it was doable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.