Installing windows vista ultimate x86 via target disk mode

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook pro 2.8Ghz , 4 gb ram , nvidia 9400M
Hey guys my superdrive is caput. It doesnt read write or anything and im stuck for a month till the part comes.
But, i deleted my bootcamp partition before this happened. Now, i need windows and i cant use a cd.
Is there some way to use another mac (17-inch macbook pro) to install it on my pro 15 inch via target disk mode?

that is,
1. Put my comp in target disk mode
2. Connect it with a second mac (17 inch)
3. Place cd in drive of second mac
4. boot off cd in second mac
5. While installing, select the partition on my comp, ie the boot camp partition.
6. Rejoice....

Would this be a viable option? or am i completely wrong .THANKS

Reaction score
I would think this would work, but only if the second Mac is in Target Disk Mode. Windows will refuse to boot if the hardware profile doesn't match.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how would i do tht? the point is to use another computer's cd drive...if id o this i cant use my own....or am i not understanding?

Reaction score
It's possible to put the first Mac in target mode and boot from the disc on the second computer, but this method would result in a Windows install that refuses to boot because it would create a hardware profile of the second Mac. I'm not sure if the first Mac will find the CD if the second Mac is in target mode, but if that doesn't work you can also resize the second Mac's main partition and clone the install disc to its own partition.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you say clone, do you mean restore it the drive? i dont follow..

Reaction score
you say clone, do you mean restore it the drive? i dont follow..
I usually use Carbon Copy Cloner, but I think Disk Utility's restore option might work too. Resize the main partition and create a new partition the same size as the install disc, then clone (restore) the install disc to this new partition. You can then put the second Mac in target disk mode and select the install partition from the boot options on the first Mac.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok it dont work on disk utility as when i try to restore it says error -254....with carbon copy cloner it says the drive (im using a 160gb Lacie External USB) wont be able to boot because:

The target volume will not be bootable because a required system file (Library) does not exist at the root of the source volume.

by, the way i appreciate you taking your time to help me thanks...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.