Case on Macbook keeps cracking, will my idea work?

Reaction score
Well im new to the forums so im not sure where this thread belongs but it seemed to fit here

Im not new to macs by any means and have had my 2.16ghz macbook for almost two years now, and im sure as many know this generation of macbook has a huge problem of the cases 'cracking' or chipping around the edges (specifically at the bottom of the palm rest)
Ive had this problem fixed once before under warrenty, but my warrenty is now up and need to get it fixed again and im pretty sure apple wont cover the charge (please correct me if im wrong)
Ill be bringing my mac into apple next week when i finally have some time off where having a laptop wont be necessary, but thought i would run this idea by you guys first

I've never particularly liked the white on the macbooks, its clear they are VERY susceptible to damage and dirty easily and wanted so see if it was possible to get a whole new 'case' then just the palm rest/screen surround.
I'd love an aluminum case but i know this is simpy not possible, but if i pay a little extra will it be possible for apple to just take the guts out of my laptop and put it into a black macbook case??

My second question is really just a pipe dream of mine. I'm not sure how the structure of the case affects the keyboard (if its all one peice or not) but would it be possible to get a backlit keyboard on my older macbook??

Basically i want an OEM yet customized laptop :Evil:
again this is just an idea i had that i will be asking apple next week but want to know what you guys think? Im just tired of having to replace the case on my macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
I don't think apple will make you the illuminated keyboard and although it would be possible, you'd have to work on it quite a bit, the letters on the keys are not see-through, you'd have to sort that somehow and drilling won't to the trick so much :D the lighting would be tedious since you'd have to find small enough leds and even sort how to power them maybe from the usb ... in the end you'd end up screwing up your computer :(

also apple probably won't give you a black case, it comes as a whole, when they replace your cracks they only replace the part of the body that has damage, so if they would give you a black case, it won't be cheap :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.