OS X Registry

Reaction score
Some of my PCs friends are becoming more and more interested in Macs now that I got one, and keep bragging about it :)

The one thing I get the most requests for is what the OS X "registry" looks like. Where can I find this? Also, info on how to take a screenshot would be nice. (must easier to ask than look up :) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
There is no registry

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Avid6eek said:
Some of my PCs friends are becoming more and more interested in Macs now that I got one, and keep bragging about it :)

The one thing I get the most requests for is what the OS X "registry" looks like. Where can I find this? Also, info on how to take a screenshot would be nice. (must easier to ask than look up :) )

There isn't really a registry as such, just a load of XML files. The files usually have the extension .plist which just means "property list", if you double click on one it will open in the XML editor which sort of looks a little like the Windoze registry used to look. Once open you can fiddle with any applications properties (so long as you have the correct privileges of course) and even cooler you can also do this from inside an application. Some properties only effect an app on start up but others effect the system in realtime so as soon as you save the file the changes may take effect.

Amen-Moses

OP
Avid6eek
Reaction score
I know there is no offical registry, that's why I asked about the "registry"....I believe the program I was looking for is the NetInfo Manager....looks like a registry substitute to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
that registry is a major flaw or hole in windows, luckily, we dont have one.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I don't know what the registry is, but unix uses a kernel. That kernel control all of the processes OS runs.

T

Thud

rman said:
I don't know wha the registry is, but unix uses a kernel. That kernel control all of the processes the in run in the os.

All operating systems use a kernel.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.